Psssst! This blog post (and the full-sized images) has moved: sewpow.com
So here’s my review for this knit skirt. It’s New Look 0914 or 6228, depending on when they printed it:
Overall, the skirt is fine, but the notions required made it hard to gather the supplies.
A bit of trivia here: this is my *first* pattern. The very first I ever bought! Right when I first got stitching, that wall of patterns beckoned me. And I looked around for something do-able. Also I thought McCalls patterns really did cost 18 bucks. It was a simpler time.
Anywho, the notions. It asks for stretch piping (which took a lot of sleuthing to get my mind around) and 1.25 inch elastic. My corner notions store stops at 1 inch.
So I didn’t sew this forever. Remember, it was my first pattern, so I assumed all the notions were gospel. Like maybe the piping was needed for structure. Or 1″ elastic would not hold the skirt up. Seriously, I was skerrrrred.
I ended up not using the stretch piping and sewing View A.
- This was my first finished knit skirt.
- ‘Twas my first time hemming a knit garment. (That’s right, I’ve been leaving the ends to the wind!)
- This was my first time being fussy about lining everything up.
- The directions are fine. Nothing insane.
- The fit was pretty close. The elastic guide was a bit off, but that’s hard for the pattern manufacturer to control.
- The notions were a bit hard to come by. (I’ll make my own piping when the sewing stork brings me a foot to do so. I just really don’t wanna.)
So since this was the first pattern that ever came home with me, I researched it endlessly. And found out about sewing bloggers. Thanks in particular to Mrs. Toad. Her write-up is here. She helped convince me to not go a size up.
Here’s the 360:
Do you recognize the print? Yup, that’s the same stuff I used to make this top.
So, here’s the whole family:
That’s pretty much it for the review. I think I’ll adjust the size a bit if/when I sew it again. Did you noticed the rudder in the 360 view? #bigbuttproblems Maybe it’s time to put a zipper on my Simplicity “Amazing Fit” skirt. Will that help my bottom fit??
You’ve been a great audience!
Kisses and stitches,